Joel J. Fulton
Joel was born and raised in Omaha, Nebraska. He graduated from Emory University in 2008 with a Bachelor of Arts in English and Creative Writing and was a member of Barkley Forum Debate Team. Joel received his J.D. in 2013 at the University of Nebraska College of Law, where he was a member of the National Moot Court Team. Following law school, Joel completed a judicial clerkship with Hon. Tamara S. Russell in Golden, Colorado.
Joel joined Fowler | Schimberg | Flanagan | McLetchie P.C. in 2015 and focused on defending civil rights claims, construction contract disputes, and personal injury lawsuits. He then returned to Nebraska to serve as senior judicial law clerk to the eight judges of the district court for Lancaster County. Joel rejoined Fowler | Schimberg | Flanagan | McLetchie P.C. in 2022, after serving for five court terms as senior law clerk to Hon. Jeffrey J. Funke of the Nebraska Supreme Court.
Joel is passionate about basketball, hiking, debate, chess, and his Australian Shepherd Ziggy.
- First National Bank of Durango, et. al., v. Lyons, 08-CV-272 (Dist. Crt. Colo., Jan. 5, 2017). Following a 10-day bench trial, the court entered judgment in favor of defendants in a securities fraud lawsuit based on alleged misrepresentations and omissions made in the connection with the sale of $4,130,000 in municipal development district bonds.
- Claeys v. Woolf, 14-CV-1174-CBS (D. Colo. June 8, 2016), aff’d, 2017 U.S. App. LEXIS 4263 (10th Cir. 2017). Succeeded on summary judgment while defending against a § 1983 lawsuit based on alleged falsifying or omission of evidence in arrest and search warrants.
- Davies v. City of Lakewood, et al., 14-CV-1285-RBJ (D. Colo., Feb. 16, 2016). The court granted summary judgment in favor of Defendant Sgt. Thomas Grady in a § 1983 lawsuit concerning excessive force resulting in death, finding Sgt. Grady was entitled to qualified immunity, because it was not clearly established under the law that a supervisor could be held liable under § 1983 for Fourth Amendment claims based on an accidental officer-on-officer shooting.
- University of Nebraska College of Law
- 2013 J.D., Certificate in Concentrated Study of Litigation Skills
- Order of the Barristers
- National Moot Court Team
- Civil Clinic Attorney
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- United States District Court for the District of Nebraska
- Nebraska State Bar Association Practice and Procedure Committee
- Nebraska State Bar Association Appellate Practice Section
- Nebraska Supreme Court Access to Justice Commission and Nebraska State Bar Association recognitions for commitment to improving equal access to justice by devoting professional time and resources to voluntary pro bono legal service, 2021
- Nebraska State Bar Association Leadership Academy, 2019-20
- Trial Academy, Colorado Defense Lawyers Association, 2016